Wednesday 7 March 2012

Amy's area..

What a strange day we have had today weather wise. I was up at the allotment at 09.30 this morning and there was a light drizzle, but nowhere near enough to put me off a bit of a digging. Then within half an hour I suppose the inevitable happened and there was a terrible downpour which lasted about 15 minutes, I will be eternally greatful to our shed for providing shelter. The showers were on and off every 15 minutes which is really annoying since it was my day off and my main day this week I  had allocated to spend sorting out the allotment.

Dinner time came and I picked Amy up for lunch at my grandparent's house before returning to the allotment where there was CLEAR BLUE SKIES and SUNSHINE but a horrendous WIND blowing. The weather really was throwing everything at us today. But we did manage to get things done.

I finished off digging the 2 beds on the right hand side and I also spread some homemade compost from home over the bean patch. Amy pottered around in the shed sowing seeds for Kale, Kohl Rabi, Lollo Rosso and a a couple of courgette seeds in the hope of an early crop like last year. Amy also planted some raddish seeds in one of our salad raised beds that I filled with a bag of compost this afternoon.

Anyway, it's time to show you Amy's little area that she wanted..



It's not completly finished but the foundations are there. On Friday evening my Dad came down to the plot and helped me move the slabs in to place. We actually had the chairs out on it earlier but we put them away before I took the pictures. The 2 salad raised beds make the border for the slabs and I think this area will look great in the summer. We are going to get a table and put some pot plants in and around the area to make it a perfect hangout for those sunny summer days. Amy is pleased anyway so that is good!

It's nice to be able to show you another perspective of the allotment from the slabbed area...




You can see the beds on the right hand side which I finished today. One of the beds on the left is covered with cardboard to surpress weeds until we need to plant our potatoes out and the uncovered bed is the bean bed where I spread the compost today. The runner bean trench is also there and is now full of rotted manure, grass clippings, banana skins, apple cores, tea bags, shredded paper etc. A perfect mix for the beans to thrive. Again you can see at the back the tarpaulin covered area for the pumpkins and root beds. The soft fruit bed is being tackled tomorrow if I remember to take my gloves up with me.

It was definately nice to sit back today and reflect on how much we have done already. We can't wait for the seeds to start germinating now...

Thanks for reading,

Martin

12 comments:

  1. It's looking great - we had torrential rain today so we couldn't do anything up the lottie. Yours looks so sweet and just a perfect and managable size - I can see that you will both be having a lovely time up there in the summer and a BBQ or two to be sure.

    Can you change your comments so that they go into moderation do you think? It stops spam that way too and I find that now blogger has introduced these two letter strings of word verification - they are hard for me to read and often I type up a nice long comment only to find that it rejected cos of the work verification thingie.

    It also takes quite a while when you are visiting folks' blogs when they have it on, so I am sure that if affects how many people leave you comments.

    You don't have to if you don't want to - it's only a suggestion. I'll still visit of course as I am an avid follower, but won't be leaving many comments. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lottie,

      Thanks for your comment and thanks for the feedback. We want to make the blog easy to use for everybody and we have also been thinking about turning word verification off.

      You will now be able to leave comments now without the need for word verification.

      Thanks again and have a good day!

      Martin

      P.S We are definately looking forward to the bbqs too!!

      Delete
  2. I don't have the captcha on mine and do not moderate. I have only had one spam in almost two years. It is not a problem, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda. Thanks for visiting we are going to switch the word verification off for a while and see how things go!

      Thanks for again!

      Martin

      Delete
  3. Wow you have been a busy bee, you have done lots already, i havent had the time this week to get down my plot i need to get my beds dug over but when i do get time to do it the weather is against me!
    look foward to reading what you do next
    stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy!

      Thanks for visiting.

      Hopefully we will have a few more interesting posts again in the next week or so. Keep checking back so you don't miss anything!

      Have a good day!

      Martin

      Delete
  4. Wow, you've done such a lot already, you put me to shame. The paving area is a great idea, Amy will be able to sit back with a nice glass of wine while she watches you do all the hard work, now why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she is very clever like that! Don't worry though I'll make sure she does some of the graft too!

      Martin :0)

      Delete
  5. You've achieve so much. I am in total admiration. Moving slabs is tough, I remember doing it with my husband when we had the allotment in Glasgow, but once in there place, they do make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Shaheen!

      We love the slabbed area, we're finding it's a nice place to sit and relax on already!

      Delete
  6. My back would have gone days ago, the amount of work you're putting in. Oh to be young again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My back did go and I had a few dig free days where I did some of the smaller jobs.

      Martin :0)

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to visit our blog! Please leave a comment we love reading every single one of them!